Reading requirements are embedded into the coursework and assignments and projects were linked to the reading. Students need to check the requirements for each of their classes. Some of the books can be read during the summer months.
To begin your reading for summer, please note:
- 6th grade – You are to choose 5 books from the existing list; also choose 2 of the following from the Sower Series Biographies – Christopher Columbus; Billy Sunday; Mahalia Jackson; Teresa of Calcutta; The Wright Brothers; Abigail Adams; Johnny Appleseed; George Washington Carver; Francis Scott Key; Abraham Lincoln; Florence Nightingale; and David Livingstone
- 7th grade – You are to choose 5 books from the existing list; also choose 1 of the following from the Sower Series Biographies – George Friderich Handel; Robert E. Lee; Samuel Morse; Samuel Smith; George Washington; Susanna Wesley; Daniel Webster; Johannes Kepler; Issac Newton; Louis Pasteur; Stonewall Jackson; Robert Boyle; William Jennings Bryan; Jason Lee; and Noah Webster
- 8th grade – You are to choose 4 books from the existing list.
- 9th grade – You are to choose 3 books from the existing list.
- Biology Class – To be determined.
The rest of the eight books for each grade level will be specifically assigned.
The books on the literature list were selected for their importance in the “great conversation” of our civilization. Since these are works that have deeply affected our world, familiarity with at least a good portion of them is essential to a solid, general education. Be aware, however, that some were written from a non-Christian perspective and contain assumptions, philosophies, themes, or language that conflict with biblical Christianity.